REPORT: New York Yankees Player Brett Gardner’s Son Miller’s Official Cause of Death Revealed

Miller, 14, died on the morning of Friday, March 21, while on a family trip in Costa Rica, the Yankees previously announced

The official cause of death for New York Yankees player Brett Gardner’s son Miller has been released.

On Wednesday, April 2, the cause of death for the 14-year-old who tragically passed away while his family was on vacation in Costa Rica was ruled to be exposure to carbon monoxide.

Miller tested for carboxyhemoglobin, Randall Zúñiga, director of Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Department (OIJ), told the Associated Press, via translation. Per Medscape, carboxyhemoglobin is “a stable complex of carbon monoxide that forms in red blood cells when carbon monoxide is inhaled.”

A carboxyhemoglobin saturation level of over 50% is considered lethal. Miller’s was 64%, Zúñiga said, per the AP. A “layer” was also found on Miller’s organs during the autopsy, indicating the poisonous gas was present.

“It’s important to note that adjacent to this room is a dedicated machine room, where it’s believed there may be some type of contamination toward these rooms,” Zúñiga continued.

Last Monday, Arenas Del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort, the hotel where Miller and his family were staying, refuted the agency’s findings of “high levels of carbon monoxide contamination,” saying that the levels of carbon monoxide in the room were “non-existent and non-lethal.”

PEOPLE reached out to the hotel on Wednesday for comment on OIJ’s cause of death findings.

In March, the MLB team shared news of Miller’s death in a statement via X on behalf of his mother and father.

“With heavy hearts we are saddened to announce the passing of our youngest son, Miller. He was 14 years old and has left us far too soon after falling ill along with several other family members while on vacation. We have so many questions and so few answers at this point, but we do know that he passed away peacefully in his sleep on the morning of Friday, March 21st,” the post read.

His parents remembered Miller as “a beloved son and brother,” known for “his infectious smile.”

“We are so thankful to all who have reached out to offer support and encouragement during this difficult time and we are confident our faith, family, and friends will help us navigate this unimaginable loss. Our prayers go out to Miller’s teammates and friends, as well as to all other families who have lost a child far too soon as we share their grief,” the family added, asking for privacy as they grieve.

Later that month, officials ruled out asphyxiation as the cause of death for Miller after it was initially reported that he died “after a possible intoxication after apparently ingesting some food,” according to NBC News.

Brett and Jessica Gardner's son Miller.

At the time, Juan Pablo Alvarado Garcia, an official with Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Agency, said that it may take up to “two to three months” before autopsy results come in for the teenager.

“The results are expected to be available in two to three months, due to the high demand for autopsies being performed in the country, resulting from the increase in homicides,” Garcia said.

“The case is being investigated by agents from the Quepos and Parrita OIJ Sub-Delegation and is currently being handled as a death under investigation,” he added.

On March 31, a video statement from Zúñiga was posted on the agency’s YouTube account that said that while the investigation remained ongoing, a “hazardous atmospheres” team conducted tests in the room his family was staying in.

“At that time, high levels of carbon monoxide contamination were detected in that room. Which then leads us to a line of investigation in which it appears that this person may have died from inhaling these very dangerous gases,” he said.

“In this regard, it is important to note that adjacent to this room, there is a specialized machine room, which is believed to contain some type of contamination in these rooms, and this could have caused some kind of contamination at the time,” continued Zúniga.

Related Posts

2025 Wichita Wind Surge Roster Preview: Walker Jenkins and Impact Pitching…

Prospects beginning the year at Double-A have a strong chance to impact the big-league roster over the next two seasons. Many eyes will be on Walker Jenkins’…

Mike Clevinger Adjusting To New Role In White Sox Bullpen

Mike Clevinger has been a starting pitcher for the majority of his career, but the White Sox plan to use him out of the bullpen in high-leverage situations.

Carlos Carrasco set for Yankees’ starting debut: ‘a big chance for me’

Carlos Carrasco is set on Thursday to make his first start since last August, when he was with Cleveland and in the midst of a terrible season.

BREAKING: Boѕton Red Sox SEND ALL IN AND EXTEND ѕecond bаѕemаn Krіѕtіаn Cаmpbell to no leѕѕ thаn $150 mіllіon, hаppіly declаrіng “I wіll…

BOSTON – The Boston Red Sox have made a definitive statement about their future, committing to second baseman Kristian Campbell with a jaw-dropping contract

Red Sox DH Rаfаel Deverѕ’ ‘very hаppy’ reаctіon аfter breаkіng 0-for-21 ѕlump

During the contest between the Red Sox and division-rival Orioles, Rafael Devers broke out of his slump, notching his first hit in 2025.

Red Sox’ Gаrrett Crochet ѕendѕ meѕѕаge to front offіce аfter humblіng Orіoleѕ

After the Red Sox gave Garrett Crochet a huge extension, he gave his front office praise after dominating the Orioles on Wednesday.